56th Annual FREE
L.A. COUNTY HOLIDAY CELEBRATION performed Live at The Music Center
returns December 24
broadcast Live on PBS SoCal
streamed Live at pbssocal.org
By Karen Ostlund
The Emmy® Award-winning 56th Annual L.A. County Holiday Celebration returns December 24th! Music ensembles, choirs and dance companies from the many neighborhoods and cultures of the region will celebrate the season during this free three-hour holiday show that is perfect for the whole family. PBS SoCal (KOCE HD) will broadcast this beloved program.
Preview of 56th Annual L.A. County Holiday Celebration:
Highlights of Holiday Celebration favorites returning to the show include Grammy-nominated, all-female ensemble Mariachi Reyna de Los Angeles with holiday favorites; choral music ensemble Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers; Invertigo Dance Theatre, which will perform a remixed version of “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies”; the 40-member choral group Colburn Children’s Choir and Young Men’s Ensemble; and Pacifico Dance Company, performing a folkloric piece from the Chihuahua region of Mexico.
New to the show are Korean-American indie folk-rock band Run River North, MôForró which will perform a medley of holiday songs in the style of Brazilian forró; Mostly Kosher, marking their first appearance on the program with a Hanukkah-inspired infused with a calypso beat; San Gabriel Valley Children’s Chorus, performing traditional holiday music from Taiwan; and more.
Watch it live on PBS SoCal (KOCE HD) and pbssocal.org on December 24 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.; again from 9 p.m. – midnight; and on December 25 at noon. See it free at The Music Center on December 24 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 24 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
• Doors open at 2:30 p.m.
• Entertainment on The Music Center plaza for those waiting in line begins at 12:30 p.m.
• Patrons may come and go throughout the three-hour performance.
• A live broadcast of the show airs from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. on PBS SoCal (KOCE HD).
• Live streaming at pbssocal.org
• The PBS SoCal (KOCE HD) broadcast repeats from 9 p.m. – midnight and again on December 25 at noon; and on PBS SoCal Plus on December 25 at 3 a.m., 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. and December 26 at 11 a.m.
• Performing artists from across Los Angeles County (see below for complete list)
• Sponsored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors• A presentation of the Los Angeles County Arts Commission produced in association with CDK Productions• Live telecast on PBS SoCal is produced by CDK Productions.
Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at The Music Center
135 N. Grand Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Information hotline: (213) 972-3099 or HolidayCelebration.org
FREE; no reservations or tickets to the show; first come, first seated
FREE in The Music Center parking garage
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has sponsored this admission free show for the people of the County every December 24 since 1959. The Holiday Celebration has taken place at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion since 1964. The program honors the spirit of many cultures and holiday traditions through music, song and dance.
Artists performing in 56th Annual L.A. County Holiday Celebration:
• Spanish Harlem Orchestra* will open the show with holiday favorites performed New York “salsa dura”-style.
• Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers will return to the program to perform a repertoire of Negro spirituals.
• Citrus Singers*, a 40-member voice ensemble from Citrus College, will perform Christmas carols featuring handbells.
• Colburn Children’s Choir and Young Men’s Ensemble, a 40-member voice ensemble of the Colburn School of Performing Arts, will perform a medley of holiday songs.
• Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles will return to the program with traditional holiday repertoire.
• Invertigo Dance Theatre will perform a holiday piece inspired by a remixed version of the “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies.”
• Korean American Youth Performing Artists* will perform a celebratory Korean drum dance with 22 performers.
• Los Angeles Young Adult Choir of GMWA (Gospel Music Workshop of America)*, a 24-member voice ensemble, will perform a gospel medley of holiday songs.
• Mariachi Reyna de Los Angeles, a Grammy-nominated all-female ensemble of 12 musicians, will perform holiday favorites.
• Mt. San Antonio College Chamber Singers*, a 38-member voice ensemble, will perform a medley of traditional holiday songs.
• Mountainside Master Chorale will present classic holiday carols.
• MôForró* will perform a medley of holiday selections in the Brazilian forró style.
• Mostly Kosher* will mark their first appearance in this year’s program a Hanukkah-inspired infused with a calypso beat.
• Pacifico Dance Company will present folklorico dance from the Chihuahua region of Mexico to the polka-infused sounds of norteño music.
• Palmdale High School Choral Union and Sunday Night Singers, a 45-member chorus from the Antelope Valley, will present traditional holiday repertoire.
• Run River North*, a Korean-American indie folk-rock band, will debut on the show interpreting traditional holiday music in a folk style.
• Salvation Army Tabernacle Children’s Chorus, the largest and youngest choir on the program, is known for their “choralography” and light-hearted holiday songs.
• San Gabriel Valley Children’s Chorus*, a 22-member voice ensemble, will debut on the Holiday Celebration performing music from Taiwan that celebrates the gathering of children during the holidays.
• Shin Dance Company will perform a celebratory fan dance to Chinese folk music.
• SK Kakraba Band* will perform a traditional Ghanaian song featuring SK Kakraba on the gyil, the Ghanaian xylophone.